Learn more about making connections:
Curious about becoming a foster parent? Discover the basic qualifications and licensing process required to welcome a child in need into your home.
- Can be single, married or partnered
- Aged 21 or older
- Have enough space
- Be financially stable
- Have support from family and/or friends
- Knowledge of child development
- Participate in background and reference checks
- Attend and participate in trainings
- Be committed, flexible and open, ask questions
- Have a sense of humor
- Have energy and time to devote to a child or youth
- Inquire: request information or call (262)222-2200
- Attend: an orientation meeting to learn more
- Apply: complete an application and other required paperwork including for background and reference checks.
- Home Visits: participate in home visits for psychosocial interviews, allow for entire home to be viewed, attend training, ask questions.
- Licensing decision is communicated and if approved, a license is issued. Generally, the licensing process from application to receipt through a licensing decision being made takes 60-90 days.
- The child’s team agrees on placement in the foster home. First meeting with the child and their family occurs.
- Child is places in the foster home. Relationships are built and nurtured